Uniforms

Since 1728, postal workers had been identifiable through office badges. In 1793, uniforms were formalised. On 6 July 1936, a press notice (POST 61/198) noted that garments were supplied at ‘prescribed periods year by year to 80,000 uniform wearing officers, while there are nearly 40,000 other individuals in the Post Office service to whom clothing in some form or other is supplied. This work entails the annual purchase of about 250 miles of cloth, 500 miles of cotton fabrics, a million yards of tape and braid, and upwards of four million buttons and other accessories’. In 1914, Royal Mail donated 238,000 yards of cloth, tweed and serge to the War Office to help provide emergency uniforms for the Army.