The launch of the pneumatic railway

In the 1860s, the Pneumatic Dispatch Company built an underground tube that linked Eversholt Street with Euston Station in London which was later extended to the Royal Mail Headquarters building at St. Martin’s Le Grand. Acting on the peashooter principle, railcars were sucked or blown through the sealed tube at speeds up to 35 mph. The pneumatic railway, though a brave venture, was doomed to failure and the company wound up in 1876.

Related content >