In June 1944, Supreme Commander of the Allied Expeditionary Force (and later President of the United States) General Dwight D Eisenhower wrote to Captain Harry Crookshank, Postmaster General, thanking the staff of the General Post Office for their help in the run up to D-Day, just over two weeks earlier. General Eisenhower’s D-Day invasion force relied on communications laid by GPO engineers. Nearly 60,000 telephone circuits had been provided for the use of the Forces.
Eisenhower writes: ‘The build-up of the necessary forces for the current operations has involved the construction of a vast network of communications radiating from key centers of vital importance in the United Kingdom. The greater part of this work has been undertaken by the Engineers and Staff of the General Post Office’.