First Royal Mail fleet

The first state-owned motorised vehicle fleet actually consisted of stores vehicles rather than mail vehicles and was the brainchild of the aptly named Major Wheeler. The first Post Office owned new motor vehicle was ‘Maudslay Stores Number 1’; this 2 ½ ton lorry entered service in January 1907 and in 18 years’ service it covered over 300,000 miles. By 1913-14 there were four stores vehicles including the Maudslay.

Related content >

Related content >

Related content >